Saturday, January 24, 2009

Happiness v.s. JOY

Can you have joy and not be happy? I use to think that they coexisted but the closer I get to God the more He opens my eyes to his truths. I have been reading through the bible and a few weeks ago the one of the scriptures was from Psalm 4:1-8 and this psalm really stuck out to me because David is crying out to God and he knows and Believes that God is listening to him. ~*~ v.7 You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound ~*~ David is saying that he was filled with a Joy greater than the happiness they felt when all thier crops came in and thier wine overflowed with abundance. He has an inwards Joy that can only come from his relationship with God.

So whats the difference between Joy and Happiness? Happiness, according to the Oxford English dictionary, is based on luck or good fortune. Joy on the other hand, is described as a vivid emotion of pleasure. Thus, happiness depends on circumstance; joy, on our emotional well-being.

So can you have Joy in difficult circumstances? Yes I believe so. I think that the world puts a lot of focus on feel good now and we think that to be happy things have to feel good now. But thats not necessarily true. I think our focus on happiness can cloud our view of the Joy that we have with God. The inward Joy that we have with God is steady, and complete when we trust in God. That inwards Joy can defeat discouragement, happiness only tries to cover it up. In ward Joy is everlasting and happiness is temporary.

~*~Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He care for those who trust in Him.~*~ God care for us he is there for us in all times but especially in times of trouble.

Recently I got a pretty scary call from somone I love very much who had lost all hope, in this life. He couldn't believe that God could or would Love him where he was, especially since he had made some pretty bad choices in his life.See he chose to believe that feel good now was better than the peace and Joy that God can bring you! He had been slowly turning further away from God, because it was easier to be in the world. On the night of this call I had just finished reading the above scripture and thinking about Joy and Happiness and I really don't believe in coincidences so anyway when the call came I was prepared well sorta. So after an hour on the phone I knew there was nothing I could do to help, I was prayin d and talking and praying and finally I was able to get professionals involved. I ended up having to call the Police in the town he was and they sent a officer. I later found out that the officer that came there had been in his situation not so long ago. and was able to speak more truths to this person I love. He is slowly getting the help he needs, and is starting to see that you can have a Joy in your life inspite of the outside circumstances. While on the phone he asked me how can you be so happy when youve been through some crap in your life and I told him like I will tell everyone. I have Peace that I can't explain, because its no of me but of HIM. I Believe that inspite of the troubles here on earth we will one day have answers to all of these questions. ~*~ Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.~*~
And I know and believe that my worst day with God in my life is still better than my best day with out him.

I hope this wasn't to much rambeling.

Know you are Loved, Thought of & Prayed for!

Love Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment